About Dr. Blythe
Dr. Blythe is a board certified family physician. Board certification indicates a higher level of training and a greater commitment to ongoing medical education. Board certified physicians are held to a higher standard than those who are not. As an osteopathic family physician, his approach is somewhat more holistic (all-encompassing) than many traditional physicians. See "What is a D.O?" from the American Osteopathic Association. In addition, his background as a nutritionist provides a solid foundation in preventive medicine, enabling him to work harder to keep you healthy and to live longer.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, BS in Biology
- Pennsylvania State University, graduate studies in nutrition, which included field work with the White Mountain Apache Tribe and a year of Clinical Nutrition research at Harvard Medical School
- University of New England, Maine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree
- Internship, Phoenix General Hospital
- Family Practice Residency, Brighton Medical Center/Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine
- Webster University, M.A. Health Systems Management
- Private solo practice in Lubec, Maine, which included ER coverage, delivering babies, and all other aspects of rural primary care.
- Faculty, Family Practice Residency Program, Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center, Denver, Colorado.
- Private practice in the Denver area.
- Harris Family Medical Center, Melbourne, Florida, for five years, some of which time was served as medical director.
- Solo private practice in Melbourne, Florida for six years.
- Taught nutrition at nursing school and medical school level.
- Spent two months working in a Guatemalan refugee camp in southern Mexico during the Guatemalan civil war in the 1980's. Have made medical mission trips to Guatemala since then.
- Interested in social, economic, and political issues in Latin America. I traveled with Oxfam American to study food and agriculture programs in Cuba and Jamaica, I participated in a human rights delegation to Guatemala several years ago and in 2005 I participated in a trip to Venezuela to study development programs instituted by the controversial government of President Hugo Chavez.
- Web developer - in 1994 I developed a large award-winning medical education web site listed as "One of the Top 500 Sites on the Internet" (since purchased by large consortium). Current websites include and environmental education site, Rainforesteducation.com and UninsuredinAmerica.org, a site to help uninsured Americans get the care they need.
- Studied plant medicines - have made several trips to the rainforests of Belize, Costa Rica, and the Amazon to study plant medicines of the rainforests with Dr. Jim Duke, author of "The Green Pharmacy".
- Dr. Blythe was the Democratic Party's candidate for the U.S. Congress in Florida's 15th Congressional District in 2008. He ran on a progressive platform of peace, health care as a human right, and fiscal responsibility with a balanced budget. Although he was not successful in this largely Republican region, he received more votes than any Democratic candidate ever in this district.
- Travel - trips to any of our national parks are always the highlight of any vacation. We have traveled with the kids to Yellowstone and the Tetons, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, The Great Smokies, Acadia, and to several fantastic parks in Alaska.
- Website development - currently maintaining my large educational site about the rainforests - at www.rainforesteducation.com and developing a site to help those without health insurance at www.uninsuredinamerica.org
- Happily married with two children, one attending Washington Academy and one attending college in Florida. We have two dogs, including a delightful golden retriever adopted from Golden Retriever Rescue of mid-Florida that keep us all laughing.